Wednesday, October 16, 2013

One Thing I Don't Like About the Gospel

Being a bible major (a term meaning one who studies in the biblical studies department at ACU) has awakened a passion inside of me that I never truly knew existed: that I love the Bible. It's amazing how the words come alive to me in a new way than they ever have before with each day that passes.

How I see the Gospel in a new light with each class period.
How I look forward to completing my homework every night.
How the more I grow in my knowledge of the ancient scriptures, the deeper my heart is being pulled into the very center of God's dwelling place.

Side note: There's truly something to be said for following your passions to the glory of God.

Amongst all of the learning, the excitement, and the anticipation, there is one problem I have encountered so far in regards to being in the college of biblical studies at Abilene Christian University. It is the same problem that any bible major-any Christian-faces: being an academic Christian.

It's incredibly easy to simply read the words and perhaps even claim to believe them and then to let it stop there.

If I claim to believe the truth of the Gospel, should I not seek to live out that truth?

What good is my faith-my claim to be a Christ follower-if I do put into practice all that I speak about?

If I simply read the words of the Bible and do not let them transform me from the inside out, what is the purpose of reading them at all?

To grow in knowledge? 

Is simply growing in knowledge of God's love satisfactory to our souls, or does God have a deeper, more glorious plan for us? Are we perhaps meant to live out such love?

What is knowledge without applying it to the realities of every day life?

If I endure a class session, witness the revealing of the Scriptures in a uniquely glorious way, and walk out the door never to allow the truth that was just revealed to me to penetrate my heart and soul, then my class time was time wasted.

If I preach with astounding influence and am able to explain in detail the wonderings of the scriptures and the ins and outs of deep theology but have not love, I am a 'resounding gong or a clanging symbol' (1 Corinthians 13:1).

If I claim to have great faith in the accuracy of the Bible, of YHWH, or in Jesus Christ Himself (to give some examples) but do not have love, then 'I am nothing'-is my faith real if not out of a genuine heart? (1 Corinthians 13:2).

If I rid myself of all material riches and volunteer my time at a ministry but have not love, then 'I gain nothing' (1 Corinthians 13:3).

If I strive for the highest GPA, obtain impressive degrees from top-knotch universities, and become an incredibly intelligent professor of theology but have not love, then I am storing up the wrong riches.

If I become one of the most knowledgeable pastors, youth ministers, or counselor's in the world but have not love, then my life means nothing.

Knowledge passes away.
These three remain: faith, hope, and love-but the greatest of these is love (1 Corinthians 13:13).

Various Christians interpret the scriptures in a multitude of ways, but it seems that all across the board everyone who claims Christianity should perhaps think twice before allowing a major to become simply that: a scholarly focus. In all we do, we should strive to have a genuine heart behind it all for the Holy One in whom we claim to believe in.

Which means we need to dwell in His Presence, or at least that's what it means for me. My soul needs to make time for God outside of the classroom or the library. I cannot put His love into practice if I do not fill myself up with that love. Only when I allow Him to fill my cup can it then overflow onto other people.

God has been breaking down walls in my heart lately regarding real faith, especially in regards to the scriptures that outline the calling of a Christ-follower.

What does it mean to 'die to oneself'? To 'pick up my cross  daily and follow Jesus'?

Do I do either of these?

Do I love people? Do I really embrace the love of Christ-the love that steps into brokenness and isn't afraid to get dirt under the nails and live the messy?

Do I take Christ seriously when He says to love my enemies? To turn the other cheek? To live simply-and to simply live?

I claim a religion that strives to represent Jesus Christ, because after all, we believe that He has called all people to accept the adoption into His family. We believe He has called us His children and He has called Himself our Father. We claim His name and rid ourselves of the old one. By taking on His new name, we embrace all that He is-all that His name describes Him to be.

Do I represent the name I've taken on? Do I even strive to on a daily basis?

Am I living in love? Am I thriving in truth?

Or am I simply reading about it? Completing homework centered around it? Studying it?

I could be mistaken, but perhaps this is why many professors study religion all the way up until they themselves are teaching it by which point they have denounced their faith completely-why many professors of theology are atheists.

It's easy to grow in our knowledge and forget about the One who is allowing us to learn.

It's easy to allow the magnificent to become mundane.

It's easy to fall into a rut of learning amidst the world of academia and miss the heart of God completely.

God is constantly reminding me that His love is not meant to be primarily read, but rather it is meant to be experienced first and foremost.

What the world look like if Christians actually strived to live out their convictions? To represent the God they claim to believe in? What if we actually lived like Jesus did and loved like Jesus loved?

We'd mess up (but we already do). At least we'd have our gaze set on Jesus.

Into the arms of grace we would fall, and I do indeed believe the Father would catch us.

Brush us off.

Pick us back up.

Say try again-and hold my hand the whole way.

We have to take steps of faith first, however, in order to even reach the point of falling down.

It is in living out our faith that we see our need for Christ.

I love the Bible-reading it, learning about it, and sharing that knowledge with others. I yearn to know more about the Gospel and all that makes it up. One aspect of it all, however, that I dislike is that I often do not take it seriously.

The Gospel calls me to a life change. The Gospel calls for me to give up myself for the sake of love and for other people.

My flesh fights this.

I forget the purpose behind reading the words of Jesus-the words of witnesses of YHWH.

Especially the parts about the Gospel-the central focus of the Christian faith.

Too often do I neglect to take Jesus seriously. 

Too often do I simply read the scriptures and think, 'Oh, that was fascinating'. The end.

Too often do I indulge in exactly what James the brother of Jesus warns about in his book of the Bible-an indulgence of merely listening to the word instead of also doing what it says.

Christians, let us not simply learn about truth. Let us thrive in it.

Let's us not do this for ourselves, though it will feed our souls to live out God's love, as it is what we are made for. Let us go further though, and primarily love out of the love we have for God. Let us love for the sake of preserving souls. Let us love so that other people will experience said love. Let us love because He first loved us,

Let's allow God to transform us from the inside out and to sanctify us day by day.

Let's live out the message of John 15: to remain in the Father's love so that His joy may be in us and our joy may be complete, and in this-in soaking up His love-we are able to spread that love to other people.

Kingdom on earth.