Friday, July 6, 2012

That Little Something Extra

A few times a year I drive home from College Station to Fort Worth, TX. It consists of a full three hours filled with music from a playlist titled, 'Roadtrip', images of the simple yet beautiful countryside flashing by, and that little something extra: coffee. Either hot or cold depending on the weather and my mood, a caffeine filled drink is mandatory. There's just something about sipping from a tall skinny vanilla latte or an iced salted caramel latte that makes a road trip seem official. Sometimes I indulge in two beverages, as I always start out with a drink but often stop at the halfway point at the Starbucks in Waco (my friend jokes it's the only thing to do in that town), and it's not only road trips that aren't complete without coffee, the same can be said for a flight, train ride, or cruise! Coffee is that little something extra that just makes the trip.


I know this is an incredibly subjective post, but I just had to express my obsession with coffee. I wake up with a good sized mug each morning and often take a cup with me into class to keep me alert. It just seems that coffee is good-no, great-in almost any circumstance. I mean think about it, whenever you get together with a friend, where is the best spot in town to catch up? Over a warm cup of coffee, of course. Whenever you need a zing of energy, where to turn? Enter a caffeinated beverage. Then there's just the different ways in which one can indulge in the beloved drink that is coffee; black, flavored, hot, iced, skinny, non-fat, extra shot, venti, and the list goes on and on, and then there's the fact that every barista EVER is well, so cool, which isn't about the coffee itself really but the people who serve it often have an effect on the experience of drinking it. I've had one guy wait on me once and then remember my name and drink order (a very rare time I asked for a green tea latte) about four months later when running into me at a worship conference. All of the servers at the Starbucks in Bryan know me-and I've only been through the drive through! No barista has ever failed to ask me how my day is going, and usually they are the ones to brighten it a bit. They're always so diverse and interesting too. Baristas just make the coffee experience a wonderful one indeed.


I think my favorite part about coffee is how it so well compliments, um, everything. When you want to add a little something extra to your breakfast, just add coffee. What is a good book without a warm beverage in hand? Whenever I blog, I love having a cup of my favorite mocha right beside me to warm my tummy and clear my head. Coffee is that little something extra that makes life yummy.


The point is, life, or mine anyway, would just be a very different place without coffee. I sort of feel inclined to write a letter of appreciation to every coffee shop in the world now.