Saturday, May 10, 2014

Womenspiration: Shauna Niequist

This past week has left me breathless and exhausted, a messy compilation of studying too much and staying up too late because such is the life of a college student. I cried some days (goodbyes are the worst) and laughed so hard on others (friends are the best) that my stomach hurt, and by the time it was all over I never wanted to hear the words "scantron" or "research paper" ever again.

And you know in three months we'll pick it all up and begin again, but whatever. For now I will shamelessly wear my favorite pair of fuzzy socks whilst nomming on homemade pizza and absorbing endless episodes of Portlandia.

Last night I came home to my too-quiet apartment after a day of test-taking and friend-farewelling (all the feels) wanting nothing more than to simply veg out. My happy place is in the midst of sweatpants and women's empowerment videos, so to compensate for the sadness of my roommate having gone home for the summer I pulled out my comfies, linked up my favorite speakers, and settled into my niche. I can't really explain it, but seeing women that I admire and look up to speak and preach and teach and give their lives to the furthering of gender inclusion all across the globe sparks something fiery inside me.

Not the bash men, never shave, kill babies, down with the nuclear family sort of spark (what an inaccurate portrayal of feminism).

The give a voice to the voiceless, bring freedom to the oppressed, set the captives free, lift those amens and shout it from the mountaintops because wow this is beautiful and important and purposeful sort of spark.

As women are marginalized, as girls are raped, as females are downplayed, and as too many beautiful people all over this earth are hurting and stagnant and abused and unknowingly wasting potential that is deep down inside of them if only they would awaken it, I am convinced every day that feminism is important. That women's empowerment is vital. That when we live brave and free and from a place that is validated by the God who calls us daughters, movements happen.

Change takes place. The good sort of change that shines light into dark places.

I'm a feminist because I can't afford not to be.

So today I'm sharing a bit of womenspiration, because there are some amazing people doing great things in the world today. One of my favorite videos currently circling the web right now is a talk by Shauna Niequist, a Christian, blogger, author, and speaker who is giving her life to the empowerment of women and humanizing of people all over the world. She studied English and French Literature at Westmont College in Santa Barbara and now lives near Chicago with her husband and two sons. Her works include Cold Tangerines, Bittersweet, and Bread and Wine. Her words are important and her blog is fantastic. Check it out: Shauna Niequist.

If you're interested, watch this talk below from Shauna on how her mother has inspired her life by overstepping logistics to answer her God-given calling. It's full of redeeming words for us all, men and women alike.