Saturday, September 29, 2012

Afternoon Tea: Prayer

Isn't is beautiful?? It's simple, yet stunning.
This morning I found myself out at Lake Bryan for a good hour and a half just spending time with the Lord; praising Him, thanking Him, listening to Him, and talking to Him. At first, I simply sat and looked out at the lake, taking in the beauty of the nature around me and thanking God for blessing me by simply allowing me to even take in such beauty. Then, as time went on, I continued into a long session of prayer for my friends, my family, and just other requests and situations on my heart and mind. I realized I hadn't sat and poured out my heart to my Creator in a little while. I've spent time in the Word daily, prayed to God with others, worshipped Him in song, but as far as sitting and catching up with God? I was a bit overdue. It's the same as when I plan a coffee date with a good friend. I may have seen that person at a group hangout or at church, but when we plan to spend one on one time together and take the time to communicate, so much growth occurs in that relationship and we get to know each other a little more than we did before. We enjoy one another's presence and love each other by showing interest in the other person's life and sharing what's going on in our own.

One on one time with God is vital. It allows us to enter into a time of prayer that is one hundred percent focused on God with no distractions. Prayer is so powerful, though we often underestimate it. Prayer is important for many reasons:

1) Prayer is how we communicate to God, and communication is key in any relationship because it helps us to grow that relationship
2) Prayer shows our thanks to God for who He is and what He's done
3) Prayer shows our faith in God because we expect Him to listen and answer, knowing He will
4) Prayer is a way for us to battle the spiritual warfare in this life
5) Prayer pushes us to be dependent on God, because we come to Him to tell Him about our lives, our fears, our passions, and anything else, as well as listen for Him to speak to us

I'm sure there are many other reasons why prayer is important, but these are just a few I've thought of. Our Father wants us to talk to Him and also listen to Him. He wants to know what is on our minds and hearts. He wants us to ask things of Him. He longs for us to cry out to Him. He loves for us to praise Him. He delights in us when we thank Him. He does not, however, need us to come to Him in prayer. He wants us to. He asks us to. How awesome is that?? We are beyond blessed to be His children.

I love how we can pray in so many different ways. We can chat with Him in the car, while walking to class or before we eat or sleep, but then we can also set aside special time just for Him. I love being able to talk to God at literally anytime, knowing that He is listening and that He can respond at anytime, too. I love how the Lord answers our prayers, even if it's in unexpected ways. It's one of the many ways He shows His faithfulness.

Prayer helps us understand the character of the Lord better. We talk to Him and listen for Him, and through that time spent with Him, we become better acquainted with Him. We enjoy His presence. We love Him and allow His love to enter our lives. We are empowered by His character. We are humbled by His blessings. It's such a simple concept, yet perhaps the most powerful one that exists. It's basically talking. Just talking to the Father. However, through this simple act an extraordinary happening occurs! We become dear friends with our God.