Saturday, December 7, 2013

Soul Fixation: Social Media

In May of 2012 I published a post, Deliver Us From Email, which presents a light-hearted story with a somewhat serious moral: social media can consume the soul. Technology is vital in helping the world function, and especially if you are an American then you know this to be true. A large part of technology is social networking and/or media, and though I do not believe it to be inherently bad, I do believe it can take up too much of our lives, or at the very least it can seemingly trick our hearts into not valuing what God values: Himself and other people.

Every summer during middle school and high school, I would travel either with my family or my youth group to Colorado and hike some of the most majestic mountains you could ever imagine. In the winters, my family traveled to New Mexico to ski the adventurous slopes. On all of these adventures, my favorite part was the fact that technology was basically disabled for most of the trip, allowing me to disconnect from social media and anything cyber-related and just be. There is something quite freeing about being surrounded by nature and simply being in the presence of God, with no technology to distract. When I realized this week of simplification regarded technology/social media, I couldn't wait to start.

To check my heart status this week in regards to social media, I broke up the process into multiple categories. For three days, I did not engage in social media in any way, which meant not logging onto Facebook, refusing to browse Pinterest, and staying away from Twitter, Netflix (ouch) and even the good 'ol blog. Sometimes I go three days or more without blogging, but to intentionally choose to not even log into my dashboard was a different feat, if perhaps only because it was intentional.

For the second category, I did not post anything for self-gratification for two days. If it was not a post that was for the purposes of edifying another person, then I did not post it. This may sound a bit odd, but quite honestly if most of us asked ourselves why we are posting certain content, I doubt the answer every time would be 'to uplift another person'. When social networking was founded, I think it's purpose was to connect people, but it has seemingly turned into a form of self-gratification. I don't think self-gratification is completely wrong. I enjoy a good chocolate truffle every now and then, but when postings become the place in which one's identity is found, or when your tweet being retweeted or pins being repinned brings you more satisfaction than the grace of God, then a problem may exist within the soul. Your motivation may need to be reevaluated. 

Examining my heart in these ways was intriguing, to say the least. I was forced to consider every why of what I was doing, and in this even my ways of socializing via media became more intentional. During this time, I also was able to spend more time with God and other people. Instead of posting a picture for the sake of others' eyes falling upon it, I was able to share a moment with a real person rather than a hundred 'friends' on cyberspace. In my times of rest, instead of opening up my laptop to watch Netflix I was able to intentionally choose to spend more quality time with God, which was refreshing and liberating all at once. I was able to ask Him to overflow my cup, and then I was motivated to pour out that love onto other people. I think staying away from Netflix was my most challenging obstacle. It's crazy how much time I can easily spend watching old Audrey Hepburn films or the next episode of fill-in-the-blank.

Another truth is this: social media is easily life's biggest facade. On Facebook, everyone is seemingly living flawless lives without a care in the world. In the words of my previous pastor from College Station Matt Morton, 'on Facebook, everyone has awesome bosses, unbelievable weather, and they mostly sing praise songs all day while eating chocolate cake and losing weight at the same time. Their hair is perfect and their skin is smooth and blemish free. On Facebook, everyone's family is perfect, everyone's kids do the cutest things all of the time, and everyone is getting married or moving forward with their lives-everyone except you, that is'. Facebook, along with Pinterest, Twitter, and every other social media outlet, are the perfect platforms for showing off an idealized version of their lives. Not that the stories online aren't true, but they certainly are incomplete. No one's life is perfect, but if you spend enough time online, you will begin to believe the lies that social networking can whisper to your soul, leading you down a path of comparison that can only lead to destruction. After all, comparison is the thief of joy. Additionally, this sort of mindset leads to coveting, which leads to discontentment, which leads to sin.

Most importantly, this past week allowed me to fixate my eyes upon Christ in all aspects, both my literal, physical ones as well as the spiritual eyes of my heart. This is easier said than done, for every time I'd open my laptop to type a paper or check my homework assignment I was tempted to check Facebook or update my Pinterest Boards. The amount of time we spend on social media is probably unhealthy, if we are all honest with ourselves. More importantly, though, is the fact that we could be inputting more of that heart and energy into loving other people, and this is the lesson of which I was reminded. It is vital to remember that social networking is not where our identities are meant to lie, and you've probably heard this truth before, but I would encourage you to remind your heart of it once more, because it's an easy truth to forget.

Lastly, we live in a noisy world that glorifies productivity and busyness at an extreme level. Add iphones, computers, televisions, radios, and social media into the mix and it can easily become difficult for reflection with God to be a top priority. The world of technology is not evil, and in fact it is an incredibly efficient and beautiful part of our world in which we live, but it can distract us from growing in our walk with the Lord.

Challenge yourself to put aside a part of your life to set your gaze on Him this week. You may see something that you otherwise wouldn't have.