Saturday, June 16, 2012

Common College Life: Homesickness

I missed my Daddy SO much!
Perhaps there are a few exceptions, but I think most college students face this issue at least once, if not multiple times. Some may experience homesickness early on, the first night they have to spend the night in a dorm or apartment that isn't the home they've been used to. For others, the lonely feeling may come randomly a few months after already being away at college. Even if you absolutely love every aspect to college, you might just want a bit of familiarity every once in awhile. After all, going off to college definitely is a new and often unexpected experience. I dealt with a bit of homesickness that often came at random moments; usually it was when I wanted my group of best friends from high school there with me to laugh at something only we all would think was funny. Sometimes, I just wanted to be home, where my parents were familiar and my little nephew was cuddly and cute. I missed my sister and her husband a lot, because of their wisdom and strength. I missed old teachers that provided encouragement. As much as I love Texas A&M, I sometimes missed my high school, where the classes were so small that you had teachers who could give you the time of day and truly cared about each student. I missed my church and youth group most of all, where I knew it was a safe place and I was always growing in my faith, and knew I could go to anyone there about anything. I just missed home. Thankfully, after being through valleys and over mountains, I learned how to cope, and through it all I realized that even though there were ups and downs and constant changes, one part of my life was consistent: my God. Even if I didn't realize it every second, my Father was always there, never leaving me to walk alone.

The Lord provides comfort and peace in times of need. A favorite verse of mine that I like to think of as my 'Freshman Year Verse' is Matthew 11:28-30, 'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.' There were nights where this verse and constant prayer was all I clung to. God came through too, and by leaning on Him I received peace, comfort, and rejuvenation. 

I recommend so strongly finding community, and a community of believers too, for they will lift you up in the Lord and His wisdom and strength. I met one of my best friends in college and she is incredibly strong in her faith; she has seen me through every up and every down of college, and when I missed my family or friends, she was always there to talk, listen, and provide love and encouragement. I didn't realize what it meant for me to need community until late in my freshman year, but thankfully I had people who realized it before even I did, and those were the ones that stuck with me and loved on me always, through everything.

When it comes to homesickness, it's not a bad idea to visit home, but the key is moderation. You want to still be building your own new life while at the same time cherishing the one you had before you left for college. If you aren't too far in distance, then plan trips home every now and then. If you are too far to travel, care packages, skype, and phone calls really do make a big difference and bring relief (although these things also help even if you ARE close enough to drive home! I loved getting care packages from my parents and letters from my friends). One of my best friends went to college in California, and he told me that touching base and hearing from friends and family really helped whenever he was homesick.

It's good to remember that even though your friends and family aren't as involved in your life as they used to be, they still are there for you. It's also good to know that distance makes the heart grow fonder, and it's even more special to visit home and on holidays whenever you don't get to as often. Know that almost everyone deals with homesickness, and even if you feel alone, you must remember that you are definitely not. Our God does not let us walk alone. He is faithful.