Thursday, November 8, 2012

Greater Courage

Today is day three of Pray Greater for Four Days, and so far it's been my favorite day yet. The reminder is a big one: to pray courageously (plus, this post incorporates football-yay!)

Today's Prayer: Greater Courage

God, I'm discouraged by some things that are happening-or not-right now. I'm committed to pursuing a greater life but I keep getting tripped up and discouraged by what I complain is a less than ideal life. Sometimes I feel like my seemingly unanswered prayers are just wasted faith. Today, I ask You for greater courage, God, to face my doubts and disappointments by seeing things from Your vantage point, not my own. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


'Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.' -Proverbs 3:5


Devotional: God is too faithful to waste your faith.


Have you ever been watching a football game when someone challenged the ruling on the field? It usually happens because the call is close, and they need to review a play to make sure the referee got it right. Things are not always what they seem to be in the heat of the moment, especially when you're close to the action.

So, the on-field referee sends the play upstairs to an official in the booth. The official replays the video, looking it over from every angle, in slow motion.

Sometimes the official confirms the ruling on the field. Nothing changes. There was no touchdown. The receiver was out of bounds. Everything was just as it appeared. Sometimes.

But other times - and these are some of my favorite moments in football- upon further review, everything changes. Because of something the official upstairs sees that the referees on the field couldn't see, the official overturns the ruling. It was a touchdown after all. The receiver was in bounds. And the official reverses the original verdict. In some instances that means the difference between victory and defeat.

I've seen entire seasons turn around with these three simple words:

"Upon further review..." 

Every dead area of your life is under further review when you send it upstairs, to the God who has a higher vantage point and sees your situation from angles you can't access. We just have to let Him take control.

What is a disappointing situation in your life that seems dead and has you feeling defeated?

Maybe a relationship in your life just fell apart.
Maybe you lost your job last year.
Maybe you've made some terrible mistakes that have cost you a lot of time and opportunity.

Whatever the situation is, it's not over as long as Jesus is on the scene.

Upon further review, He can restore the relationship.
Upon further review, He can supply all your needs.
Upon further review, He can forgive you and make you whole.

Most of us give up too soon on the greater life God has for us. Don't lose hope. With God, nothing is ever beyond resuscitation.

I can't show you a spreadsheet documenting where all your prayers went over the last ten years, but I can assure you none of your faith was wasted. I'm learning I don't have to put my unfulfilled dreams and unanswered prayers in the column labeled Wasted. I don't have to write them off as losses at the end of the year. I can trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not on my own understanding, because He's my trustee, (See Proverbs 3:5).

God is too faithful to waste your faith. He is too wise to make a mistake. He is too loving to disregard your heart. And He is overseeing every prayer you pray, making good on every promise He has made.

You just have to choose, like I have, to live your life believing that we belong to One whose vantage point is greater than ours. Upon further review, there is always hope.


Ask Yourself Today:


What effect does the concept that God doesn't waste your faith have on your attitude toward set backs and seemingly unanswered prayers?


*Via email from the ministry, 'Pray Greater for Four Days', through Elevation Church and based on the book, 'Greater', by Steven Furtick