Sunday, January 5, 2014

Blogging Reflections

I haven't posted since New Years, mostly because I've been reflecting.

I began my blog the day after my birthday on April 29, 2012 making it almost two years of being in existence, meaning I have typed multitudes of words, published many posts, and voiced various thoughts between then and now. Blogging has a lot of benefits, but perhaps one of my favorites is the ability to look back and trace one's growth that reveals itself within the paragraphs of one's posts. Over the past two years I have changed quite a bit, while in other ways I have remained fairly the same. I like to think that I have learned new information and that my mind has been stretched a bit since my first post almost two years ago. One great aspect of blogging is following other authors and getting differing glimpses of perspectives. I've concluded that I truly appreciate people who stimulate my creativity and make me think on a deeper level.

Some inspirations:

Rachel Held Evans
Sarah Bessey
Richard Beck
Matt Morton
N.T. Wright
C.S. Lewis

While I don't consider myself a well-known blogger by any means, I do appreciate the followers the blog has drawn, and the responses are overwhelmingly humbling to me. Knowing that God can use the words to encourage one reader makes it a blog worth publishing, and at the core I think it is the main reason why I continue the blog at all. I enjoy it, of course, and I've really grown quite fond of my personal, online, creative space. The reader responses, however, are the juice-the catalyst-in a way, behind the blog's continuation. I recently read a tweet that said, 'Don't write for your critics. Write for the people you want to feel less alone'. These words captivated me heart and soul, because that really was the primary reason for the production of this blog in the first place. God had given me a story to share during my freshman year of college, and I believe it was and is a story for those that need to hear it, for those that can relate, because we all fall in such a category at one point or another. We all need people to relate to, and we all are meant to relate to other people, for it is in this-in the process of living and relating-that we help each other grow.

I enjoy publishing my blog very much, and I'm thankful for whoever reads it. I've decided to continue blogging until my senior year is finished, and after that I will most likely create a new blog that will be more academic-geared. It will probably be a place for my thoughts and ponderings to come pouring out while in the midst of graduate school, because I will be in a new stage of life, one in which my focus will shift to other areas regarding academic research (Haiti) and perhaps different areas in terms of theology, most likely concepts pertaining to cultures, the Gospel, and how the two relate. I also want to transfer my blogging from Blogspot to Wordpress for various reasons, mainly because it's sharper, newer, and updated. I think I'd like it more. Basically, it will be a more grown-up blog.

Anyway, changes won't take place for awhile. Until then, I'll just keep on writing for my readers, and myself, in this space.