Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sunday Blessings

Today my soul has been renewed after an evening at church. The sermon was fantastic, the worship was beautiful, and dinner was (as always) my favorite part of it all. Hope Church is truly a unique place.

If you're looking for a church-for a home and place to feel loved-our doors are wide open.

My cup overflows with blessings. Thank you, God.

Child-Like Faith


Tonight our service had an added element to it. In order to embrace hospitality in a new way, blankets were spread out on the floor at the front of the room for moms, newborns, kids, or anyone who would feel comfortable to come and sit on them during the service. It was a way of including everyone in the church and not making anyone feel as if they had to hide in the back of the room simply because they had a baby who needed to lie down or a child who wanted to sit and color. It was a way of proclaiming freedom; stating that anyone is free to worship as they are able. We have no limitations here. Come and be in the presence of the Lord-just as you are. As worship began, the pastor spoke to the congregation and invited us to worship together as he does every week. There is freedom in the room, he said, freedom to stand, sit, dance, pray-whatever the Spirit moves you to do. As the singing began, a little girl sitting by me on the blanket, Audrey, stood up. Then, as bold as anyone I've ever seen, she began to walk toward the stage, and when she reached it-without a moment's hesitation-she stepped up onto it and stood there by our worship leader, Jesalyn. For a second, realization seemed to sink in to Audrey's four-year-old little brain of what she had just done. As quickly as it had come though the moment changed, and she began to sing. This happening inspired Audrey's friend Savannah to join her on stage, and together the two began to sing along to the song, 'Ten Thousand Reasons'. These two four-year old girls had just proclaimed themselves our worship leaders. Savannah began to clap (off-beat) and Audrey began to do a sort of mini-jig for God.

It was the most beautiful thing I've ever witnessed.

Father, give us all such child-like faith. Let us embrace the freedom of the Gospel.

A Message That Preaches


Tonight our sermon was about the story of Zacchaeus, which you are probably familiar with. I've heard it growing up and sang the song since I was five years old. The way it was presented by my pastor cast the moral of the story in a completely different light. Perhaps I learned a different moral altogether. He emphasized Jesus' demeanor in the tale and how, even though He was and is God, He made everyone around Him feel important. True humility is this: that a King, perfect in splendor and majesty, steps down from His throne to wash the feet of the ones who could never reach Him-the ones who could never deserve Him. As I was reading this story in Luke, the Spirit asked me if I lived in such a way. Do I actually serve others with my life? How seriously do I take this leather-bound book I claim as truth?

Jesus literally devoted His life to loving other people. This concept is at the heart of the Gospel.

The thought also occurred to me while reading this story that Jesus was not Martha Stewart (a post soon to come). What I mean is, His message to the Christian is not to throw fancy parties. When we do host banquets, we are called to invite those that, in the eyes of the world, would not necessarily make the list. However, the Gospel is not primarily about inviting other people to your house. It is not about pretty decorations, gourmet meals, or your best china tea cups (and I love tea cups). It's not about any of this, because a person can come to my fancy party, eat my fancy food, and drink out of my cute tea cups and still not feel welcomed. A person can be invited to a banquet and not feel loved.

The Gospel is about truly loving people, and sometimes that means working with what you have. Sometimes it means meeting them where they're at-where you're at. It means stepping into their world and doing life together.

In the story, Jesus invited Himself over to Zacchaeus' house. Wait-isn't that sort of rude? How is that loving?

I think oftentimes we read this part in the Bible and miss the significance completely.

You see, it would be one thing for Jesus to invite a sinner to His house. Though it was not commended, at least it was not condemned, because if a 'clean' person invited an 'unclean' person to their home, then at least the 'clean' one would be in control.

However, to enter into a sinner's house-to eat from their table, to step into their shoes, and to embrace their life? It was unheard of. Not only were certain people not invited to dinner, but certain people were not even seen as worthy enough to have anyone over for dinner. Certain people were not seen as beautiful enough to live life with. Jesus was looked down upon because He lived out the concept of humility. He set everything about Himself aside so that unclean people could feel clean. He entered into the houses of sinners so that they could feel special. He didn't only invite people to come to Him-He also reached out and went to them. He did whatever it took to love each person in the way that they needed to be loved. He initiated love. He set Himself aside to make other people feel valued.

Father, help us die to ourselves for the sake of love.

Every day, I have the option to be Jesus. I have the chance to initiate love. Most days, I choose to be Lauren. The fight of my flesh is so deep. My life prayer-our life prayer-needs to be for the Spirit to overwhelm us. The bit of Jesus that is inside of us is able to love when we are not, and I pray we allow Him to show His love through our words, actions, hands, and feet.

'Set a fire down in our souls
That we can't contain; can't control
We want more of You God'.