Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Growing Down: Introduction

Jesus says that to experience the kingdom of heaven one must become like a small child. It's an intriguing concept, to say the least. I've posted about this a few times previously (read: A Child-like Spirit and The Kingdom is Theirs), but lately I've been learning more about what it means to embrace child-like faith and how it applies to experiencing the kingdom, both presently and eternally.

It seems to encompass various aspects, so I've decided to start a series regarding the Christian's call to be like the little ones of this world. Each post will explore a different way in which this can happen-in which one can embrace being like a child in a spiritual sense. I want to examine what it meant to the audience that heard the command during Jesus' time as well as what it means to audiences who read it during today's time. Is the same meaning in both messages? Does it mean the same to us as it did to Jesus and the people of His time, to become like little children?

These questions and more are ones I find worth discussing. I'm not sure when this series will take off and swing into full-on blogging mode, but hopefully it won't be too long. With finals upon us (survival mode: activate) and the holidays quickly approaching, it may not be until next semester for this series to get going. I'm not completely positive, but I think the title will be Growing Down: Lessons From Little Ones. That is absolutely subject to change, but I like it for now.

Sometimes we become so wrapped up in growing up that we forget how to be a child. Who better to learn from than the little people themselves?

I think that's another reason behind the existence of this series, because lately I've been overwhelmed with maturity, responsibility, and all of that jazz. Life just moves so quickly, and I seemingly blink and everyone around me is older and everything that I used to be familiar with is gone and foreign elements have replaced the old ones. As I grow older, I need reminders to stay little, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

Until this series takes off, check out the precious scene below from the Disney/Pixar movie Up: