Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday Blessings

I follow many blogs on a weekly basis, and my favorite sorts of series are the ones consisting of a compilation of favorites of the author. There's just something refreshing about posts that take a break from theology or deep discussion to focus on the small joys in life, and in addition the series often come with cute names to reflect the lighthearted content.

I'm all about those warm fuzzies.

I've considered blogging through such a series, but honestly the biggest excuse I've hid behind for not implementing such an element to my blog is that I haven't been struck with the inspiration to produce a creative name (pathetic-I know).

This summer I partook in an intentional experience called the Joy Dare, a decision inspired by author and blogger Ann Voscamp. As I've pursued this goal, I've formed thankful daily habits, resulting in the formation of joyful life habits. God has taught me that joy, as a function of gratitude, affects my daily perspective to live in the Lord's Presence.

The joy of the Lord is our strength.

Taking on the Joy Dare has shown me what it is to have a servant's heart. It has brought the scripture of John 15 to life. It has allowed me to see that the whole earth is not only full but is overflowing with God's glory.

As I've experienced this transformation, I have decided to incorporate the concept of the Joy Dare into my blog in a consistent manner. I am beginning a series that will weekly record blessings in my life so that I am reminded of the God who gave them. My hope is to inspire the counting of blessings in any reader's life, so that together we can form thankful habits in order to experience joyful lives.

What if we viewed this concept as a call of the Church-to live in joyful oneness?

Where creativity is lacking simplicity is present, and so this series shall be titled, 'Sunday Blessings'.

Straight and to the point. Today is Sunday, and I am ever thankful for the blessings He has given.


My Current Roommate
Megan is one of my best friends and one of the most down to earth, kindest, gentle-hearted people that I've been blessed with in my life. On top of that she's a (future law student) genius and has probably the classiest style of anyone I know. Talk about joyful-this picture is one of my favorites because of that very spiritual fruit! I'm not naturally photogenic-I never know what to do when my photo is being taken-and I usually feel really awkward throughout the whole process, but we were laughing throughout this entire session (usually at Megan's randomness), so each picture came out real, relaxed, and in the moment, and it wasn't the momentary giggle at the cheesy joke sort of laughing. It was the deep-founded, holding our aching sides and sounding like idiots sort of laughing. I love this girl and I'm so blessed to have her as a best friend, roommate, and sister in Christ.


My Previous Roommates
Words cannot express how dear these two lovelies in the picture are to me. They've struggled beside me in my darkest hours and rejoiced with me in the best ones. God taught me so much about love and life through the lives of Claire and Jenna; in one, what it looks like to be obedient to God and attentive to the Holy Spirit and in the other what it is to choose joy every day and to love people unconditionally. Both of these friends showed me what a life looks like that is surrendered to reckless abandon in Christ. Blessings upon blessings. I'm leaving these two in College Station, and I'm going to miss them very much.



Elephants
I know, I know-enough with the elephants. I probably reference them way too much for anyone's liking, but can you really blame me? They are the epitome of warm fuzzies! The Fort Worth Zoo recently announced the birth of Baby Bowie, upping the number of elephant births this summer from one to two. Baby Belle gained a friend and I gained two blessings. God didn't have to allow for the existence of elephants, but He did-simply for the ridiculous animal lovers like myself. I swoon at the simple sight of them.

Creating thankful habits is the best way for me to live a joyful life, and isn't that that the point of blessings-to enjoy them? Joy has the potential to surprise our souls, if only we'd let it. I've found that once a blessing is truly received, a life is changed, and a transformed life that receives blessings can only in turn extend those gifts to someone else. Count your blessings. Be a blessing. Live in joy!