Monday, December 31, 2012

Progressive Sanctification (Happy New Year!)

Happy New Year!

If I had to give one word to how I feel right now about this upcoming year, I'd say thrilled. I'm excited for what's to come, because so many new and exciting events are taking place, as my college career is experiencing a new adventure, multiple friends of mine are getting married, and the film Despicable Me 2 premieres-and these are simply a few happenings among many to come in 2013. Yay!

I honestly think that this past year has been the one that I've experienced the most spiritual growth in the twenty years that I've been alive, and as I sat down to attempt to formulate a list of resolutions or goals for this upcoming one, a realization hit me-at the core of all of my individual resolutions is one underlying principle that I yearn for: progression.

Today I heard the phrase 'progressive sanctification', and I love it.

As a believer, my life goal should be to set my eyes upon Jesus in order to grow in maturity-progressively be sanctified-until the day of His return and my restoration. The irony of this resolution is that it does not depend on what I do, but rather it is a goal dependent on God who restores my soul. He does all of the molding, for I am clay in His hands, and though I am dependent on His work and goodness, I am still called to practically do my share in order to allow His sanctification to be done in my life. He does not need me, but He wants me. He has called me to respond to His love. To me, this means-and these goals are really simply skimming the surface, for there are endless ways to draw near to God and grow in Him-daily intaking His Word, obtaining spiritual disciplines, and pursuing righteousness through my thoughts, words, and actions even more than I did this past year.

'And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God'. -Philippians 1:9-11

Each year is colorful and different than the one before, and I doubt 2013 will be an exception. With this year I'm sure will come new challenges, new relationships, new faces, new friends, and new experiences. However, if the whole year has gone by and I have not loved God and His people, only then would I declare the year a failure. If 365 days go by and I fail to know more about my Savior than I do in this present moment-his nature, His love, and His calling for my life-then I have not satisfied my overall goal. Ultimately, what I want most to aim for this next year is to fall more in love with God. If I achieve this, then all other areas of my life will show fruit for it, because in loving Him I am called to love His people and obey His commands. When my knowledge of Him grows more and more, then so does my love by faith through grace abound more and more. Here's to true love-one that restores souls and reaches nations. Here's to this year and all that it brings-and may it be filled with God's people striving to know Him more and more each day until the coming of Christ Jesus.

P.S.
Here's a trailer to stir your excitement for this upcoming movie!