Thursday, August 15, 2013

Three Ways to Be a Yogi

Back in high school, I went to my first yoga class with a friend who swore it would help my running and soccer training performance. The class instilled fear in me and matched the stereotype I'd envisioned in my head from the moment the first zen music note began to play, and as our instructor began to lead us in meditational chants, all I could think was how I would rather be anywhere else but there, while all the while I was forced to hold back bursts of laughter at the seemingly ridiculousness of it all (to my friend's embarrassment a few giggles slipped out...). After class I proceeded to do my 'real workout' of running four miles and then heading to soccer practice that night. Yoga, I'd decided, was not for me.

A year and a half later I decided to give it another go, and this time I was persuaded by my mom who had become a full-fledged yogi. With my running shorts and sneakers, I didn't feel like I fit in at all. I would, however, keep an open mind, because you never know-perhaps by the end of the session I would at least feel a bit more relaxed (or something like that).

I can't completely explain why my interest in yoga all of a sudden peaked from that point forward, except to say that perhaps certain elements of the class were far different than the first I'd attended. The instructor knew how to engage beginners as well as accommodate regulars, and she gave clear instructions that furthered my understanding of the logistics of each pose. I felt challenged. It was invigorating.



The chanting was basically non-existent, so it didn't feel as if we were in some sort of weird ritualistic cult-like setting. The closest we ever got to chanting was to listen to the instructor suggest we release all stress for the current time being, and then she described calm environments at the end of the class to further meditation and relaxation. By the end of the time, I finally understood why more than 11 million women in the U.S. practice yoga, according to the 2008 Yoga in America survey conducted by Yoga Journal. As I've furthered my knowledge and practice of yoga, I've experienced a growing strength in my lower back (I have the back of an eighty-year old woman, thanks to cross country and soccer), improved posture, and, as my friend had hoped for when urging me to attend the first class, a flexibility that truly helped my running and soccer training performance. I attended yoga classes on and off throughout high school, and in college I discovered an awesome site that provides yogic resources for the cheap college kid who wants to practice yoga within the constraints of her own budget (meaning for free) and in the comfort of her own home. I sort of fell out of doing yoga this past year as the school year became hectic, but I've picked it up again this summer and plan on fully jumping back into it feet first starting next week. My heart for the exercise has grown immensely over time, and after completing my practice tonight I've decided to share some tips and thoughts on how to be a yogi (if any part of you has ever wondered):

Find your niche:  Sage Rountree, a certified triathlon and cycling coach, yoga instructor and author of The Athlete's Guide to Yoga, likens choosing a yoga class to buying a new pair of running shoes. 'You wouldn't buy the first running shoe you saw without trying it on would you? Just like you need to try on a few brands, you also need to try out a few types of yoga and instructors,' she says. 'And just like a specialty running store, a yoga studio, not your local gym, may be able to help you find the best fit'. To find the right class for you, call the studio in advance and talk to an instructor, recommends Rountree. Also ask if they offer a class designed for athletes, which often is challenging, but gentle on athletes' commonly tight hips and hamstrings. Different sorts of yoga focus on channeling different concepts, which is why some incorporate chantings and the like while others simply focus on relaxation and meditation. Some are even faith-based and focus on memorizing biblical scriptures. They all focus on channeling good health and vitality, and who doesn't want that?

Focus on you: If you ever attend a yoga class, the chances are that you will encounter all sorts of yogis, some who have been practicing for ages while others are there for the first time. Once I attended a class for a whole year with a guy who was in the military (he was so intense and put me to shame). The point is, everyone is at different places with their stretches, and your body won't be able to do the exact same poses or variations as the person next to you. Don't try to outstretch your neighbor, or else you'll put yourself and/or the other person at risk of hyperextending. If you push through the pain in yoga, you'll only win yourself an injury. It's alright if you feel challenged, but it's never alright if the stretches hurt. Communicate with your instructor where you are in regards to the session. Oftentimes they'll be able to give tips and help guide you through poses that are tapered for you and your body. A true yoga instructor will know what he or she is talking about. It's not cheap in the least to obtain a license to teach (I've looked into it) and all teachers I've encountered pursued instructing because they are passionate about the practices of relaxation, meditating, or just good health.

Eat like a yogi: Like any other exercise, what you put in your body will affect your performance. I'm actually choosing to embrace this last tip beginning this upcoming semester. All throughout high school I ate well (mainly because my coaches wouldn't let me do otherwise), but somewhere along the way over the past two years of college I've become sloppy in keeping up with a well-balanced diet consisting of a variety of nutritional choices. Basically, if you want the full yogi experience, what you eat should be consistent and beneficial to your practice in order to reach your full potential. Sugary and salty foods will only cause dullness and prove to be a hindrance to your exercises.

Yoga has become one of my favorite ways to relax while also improving my flexibility. It's a great practice on it's own, but when coupled with other aerobic exercises such as running or soccer, it vastly contains potential to increase those areas as well. Part of me just enjoys doing it because I get to carry around an awesome yoga mat that reminds me of a sunflower (it's bright yellow), and in addition to how fun it is, you get to wear the most comfortable (and pretty dang cute) clothing items ever.

So there's that.

Become a yogi (we aren't as weird as the stereotype that's built a home in your mind makes us out to be).