Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday Blessings

There are so many blessings to be shared today, and I truly do believe that intentionally creating habits of thankfulness leads to the formation of habits of living in joyfulness.

So let's get this shindig started.


Noms
In honor of there not being a Chipotle in Abilene (#bummer), I've resorted to creating my own version of their burrito bowls by mixing black beans, corn, pico de gallo, and hot sauce, and I actually might like my version better (though I most certainly would not complain if any business person out there wanted to bring a Chipotle out here...). There's a place in town called Sharky's, which is sort of a lesser version of Freebirds, and every student here swears by it, but I just haven't warmed up to it yet. I'm all about that Chipotle sauce, and really, where else can you find such zesty flavor?

In all thankful seriousness, food is a blessing. It's far too easy to forget how blessed we Americans are with the gift of food. We should indulge less, share more, and stop complaining.




God of Brilliant Lights
I am so in love with this song right now. 'He's not afraid of our filth. He'll never turn away'. Guys, how intensely beautiful is that? We are covered in dirt, and He still reaches out to lift us up out of the muck. We are the lepers, the ones with hearts of stone, and the dry bones. He brings us to life! I'm so thankful that His love is like an ocean, and it does not simply satisfy my thirsty soul, rather He beyond fills me up so that my cup overflows with His love.


Good Theology
Holy Guacamole. I can't stress enough how important it is to know how to properly study the Bible. I firmly believe how one studies the Bible affects the actions and words that are inspired by that person's interpretations-and those products have the potential to encourage or destroy a life, whether it be their own or someone else's. I've only been in my classes at ACU for one week, and I'm already first, loving each and every one and two, in awe of how much my professors know. The staff at Abilene Christian University is well-known and respected, and it's for good reason. They are all incredibly intelligent. I appreciate them so much for not only using their gifts and teaching us (and with such love, too-they really love their jobs) but for doing so humbly. One of my favorite parts about being a Bible major is having the opportunity to learn how to study scripture. There is so much that we should be taking into account in regards to viewing the Old and New Testament, and it's truly fascinating. At some point I will post some of that sort of thing on my blog, because correctly studying scripture is something not enough people know how to do, and good theology is essential to how believers live their lives.

If you're interested, some good theologians include N.T. Wright and C.S. Lewis, and some good reads are The Old Testament Story, The Resurrection of the Son of God, and Mere Christianity.

That's all for today, loves. Today I'm saying a special prayer for whoever happens to read this post. I pray you have a blessed day and learn more about the character of the Almighty.