Wednesday, August 7, 2013

God Help the Outcasts

'I don't know if You can hear me
Or if You're even there
I don't know if You would listen
To a gypsie's prayer
Yes, I know I'm just an outcast
I shouldn't speak to you
Still I see Your face and wonder...Were You once an outcast too?
God help the outcasts
Hungry from birth
Show them the mercy
They don't find on earth
God help my people
We look to You still
God help the outcasts
Or nobody will
I ask for nothing
I can get by
But I know so many
Less lucky than I
Please help my people
The poor and down-trod
I thought we all were
The children of God
God help the outcasts
Children of God'
-The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Tonight I was watching the Disney classic, 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame', a film based on the novel by Victor Hugo. The book, though beautifully written, is tragic to say the least. The movie isn't quite as dark, though it is far from a comedy, but it being a child's movie it contains much humor and light-heartedness as it is adjusted for the sake of the audience. The film perfectly captures the heaviness of the topics Hugo addresses in his novel that existed in his society-topics that I would argue still exist in every society today, especially in the American. All of Hugo's written works revolve around topics such as human nature, irony in the Church, and simply societal issues like child labor, feminism, racism, prejudice, and the list could go on and on. He's sort of the French version of Charles Dickens.

Anyway, as I was watching the movie tonight with my host-sister and brother (blessings upon blessings), I was moved by one of the songs performed by one of the main characters, the gypsy Esmerelda who, though viewed in society as poor, less significant, and even sinful, ironically shows a heart of gold throughout the entire film. 

Many in society label her as a 'witch'. Almost everyone in the film judges her by what she appears to be on the outside. The religious characters in the story ironically treat her as vermin, condemning her in their hearts when they have absolutely no right to do so.

I've seen this movie countless times in the past, but every time I watch it I break down bit by bit until the last scene arrives and I've become an emotional puddle of tears and ridiculousness. I'd say it's embarrassing, but a wise woman once told me that to show emotion is to be vulnerable, and that's a beautiful thing. I've arrived at a peace that tells me if the Holy Spirit moves my heart, then I'm just going to stop resisting and let Him do His thing, even if it means having snot dripping down my nose and red-rimmed eyes.

Tonight, as I watched, I was reminded of a deep lesson that the film producers do a fantastic job of communicating. It's a lesson that Hugo expresses in every single novel he writes: God helps the outcasts.


We all have people who directly influence us, and then there are those that more indirectly impact our lives. One of those people for me is Katie Davis, a Ugandan missionary from Brentwood, Tenessee. Her story is incredible and her steps of faith are inspiring. Not everyone is called to move to a third world country to stand against child slavery, malnourishment, and familial abuse. Helping the outcasts in Uganda is Katie's calling. Perhaps it's yours, too. Not everyone is meant to move to Africa, but everyone is called to love. Wherever you are, be it China or the United States, we are meant to love. We're all made to be loved. The logistics of when, how, and where may differ, but the underlying principle stands firm: love, and I don't mean the fake, fairy-tale, everything-is-perfect-every-moment-of-every-day kind of love (no matter how great the love in my heart for Disney movies and happy endings). I mean the raw, dirt-under-the-nails, really living life with others, embraces broken hearts, prays away the demons, casts out all fear type of love. We do have a hope for a happy ending in the person and power of Jesus Christ, but right now we are living a battle between flesh and spirit in which we are attacked daily. We are fighting behind enemy lines. It's messy. It's hard. It's real. It's why we need Jesus. In the words of Katie, 'I have learned that I will not change the world. Jesus will do that. So I keep stopping where I am and loving one person at a time, because that is my call as a Christian'.


The heart of Christ is in servant-heartedness. It's in love-real, raw, sacrificial love. It's not about judging-because who cares if people know what we are against if they don't understand who we're for?  It's about grace. It's less about casting out sin and more about praising God's righteousness, and really, when steps of faith are taken to pursue holiness, sin cannot remain. We are made clean when we follow Jesus, but it is not any mere human's job to cleanse another man, for if every man is broken, then who on earth has the authority or ability to fix anyone else? Only divine intervention can save a broken, flesh-filled world. People aren't supposed to fix people. God is supposed to fix people. People are supposed to love people, because God first loved us.

Even if we don't mean to do so, we label people. Anyone who is different from us in any way automatically receives some sort of identity, and I don't say this to bring condemnation upon any eyes reading these words, because I do it too. We all do, because it's just who we are. We judge and discern and sort out into categories-even if we don't mean to. Those people have less of an income. That person is socially awkward. He is a liar. She is a cheater. They gossip. That group lives wildly. 

Sin exists-it's true. That person is broken. This group is messed up. I, however, cannot cast the first stone, or the second, third, fourth...because I am imperfect, too.

I often forget that Jesus was an outcast. He had no home, no possessions but the clothes on His back, and nothing of this world to attract us to Him. He overturned social tables and went against legalistic religious rigidity. He healed on the Sabbath and hung out with tax collectors and touched lepers. He loved everyone-even the ones that didn't love Him. He was the ultimate outcast, and yet He changed the course of human history forever.

When you think about it, we are all outcasts. If God is the circle of holiness, then I am very much on the outside. I'm messy. Broken. Sinful. God is the flawless one. We are the outcasts.

These words aren't to bring conviction. That's the job of the Holy Spirit. These words are simply to turn the focus away from judgement and toward grace. Grace upon grace upon grace...

'To love another is to see the face of God'. -Victor Hugo