Saturday, May 26, 2012

Common College Life: Stress

I've decided to blog about the topic of stress because it's one that not one single college student can avoid (if you're the exception, please share your secret with the rest of the world)! When I've overwhelmed by tests, friends, family, schedules, commitments, the future, bad hair days, being sick, or anything else college life throws at you, I always sit down and make a list of blessings in my life. Then, I spend time with God, one on one, and I open the Bible and ask Him to remind me about His character. Often if I'm stressed, I complain to no end to whoever will listen, and I've found the root of this problem is because I have forgotten just how great our God is. He defeated the GRAVE. Jesus Christ overcame death. DEATH! Through that power, we are called to overcome burdens in His name. We have that same power. Sometimes we forget this truth. He's also given us the power of His Holy Spirit. When we remember this, we are able to rejoice in the name of the Lord, no matter what trials or tribulations we are going through. I wrote a note on Facebook almost a year ago about being blessed, and after re-reading it I decided to post it on my blog.



Simply Blessed

Loud trains running at two in the morning. Flu-like symptoms due to changes in weather. School induced stress. Sometimes, I complain to absolutely no end. Don't we all? It's as if humanity thinks it has the right to grumble and moan about just how truly terrible life turns out to be. It's so easy to be caught up in 'Me, myself, and I', especially when we live in a world that stresses self advancement and achieving ultimate perfection (which, by the way, is not possible-shocker I know). So how does one deal with this problem of narcissism and having a pessimistic attitude? This is a question that I asked myself this past week as I seemed to find one situation after another to complain about, and believe me, this phase didn't last long because the Father quickly showed me just how selfish I was being, and in order to complete a 180 turnaround from this stage of complaining, I took a moment and thought about what all there is to praise the Lord for and all of the blessings that He's put in my life (of course, there are far too many to list because the numbers are infinite, but these are the ones that came to mind in that moment).

1. Jesus.Christ.-an ultimate blessing that humanity often forgets about or underestimates. We can't even comprehend what a blessing He is and we would be absolutely nothing without Him.
2. Friends- all throughout my life I have been blessed with some of the most amazing friends that anyone could ever ask for. I've truly realized the importance of friendship in the past six weeks while making the transition to college, which I'm going to go ahead and throw out there, not to scare anyone, isn't easy in the slightest. College is fun, wonderful, enlightening, and a million other adjectives, but easy-for me-isn't one of them. However, my Father has put some of the most godly, encouraging, real, and inspirational friends in my life and I am so thankful for that.
3. Family-an aspect of life that tons of people, including myself, don't realize the value of until later years. We learn and grow from our families and in many situations families can be a wonderful support system.
4. Literature- I have read some absolutely incredible works lately! I've really been intrigued by Christian inspired novels that have challenged and grown my faith in immense ways, books such as 'Blue Like Jazz, Completely His, and the Poisonwood Bible'. Literature is just a great escape from the chaos of the world sometimes too, and it also gives for good conversation starters! All in all a win.
5. Love- the Father and His love. I can't even comprehend what a blessing this is. I see God in the most unexpected ways; a butterfly, a child waving to me on the bus, a new friend come from an unseen opportunity. His love is all around. I just had to open my eyes and see that I am simply blessed.

Who am I to complain about...anything?

The Lord gives us reminders in His word to help us out in stressful times too. I have these few written on my mirror at home:

'The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble'. -Psalm 9:9-10

'Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God. By day the Lord commands his steadfast love, and at night his son is with me, a prayer to the God of my life'. -Psalm 42: 5,8

'My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken'. -Psalm 62:1-2

I encourage you to take heart, whoever you are, whatever you may be going through. Do not worry. Do not freak out. God knows what we need, and He is strong. Our God has overcome the world.