Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Into the Glorious: Science & Faith in Harmony

Before you read today's post, I'd prefer it if you would take a look at the introduction for this series, 'Into the Glorious'.



'Never lose an opportunity of seeing something beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting'. -Ralph Waldo Emerson


Today I began a book called The Language of God by Francis Collins, and though I started reading it because of pure interest in the author's view of Christianity and because it was strongly recommended by a past teacher of mine, I am now excited to read it so that it can be of use to me as I blog through this new series that will address how to compromise science and faith. Collin's novel has already made it to the top of my recommendation list, and I'm not far in at all. It is far more captivating than I anticipated, scientifically accurate, thorough, and well-written. In a sense, it is a book regarding philosophy, but it is also one that addresses scientific arguments for and against the existence of God-all of which are backed up by evidentiary support.

In future posts, I will present common questions regarding science and faith, but today I want to focus on one idea: discovery as worship.

In today's modern times, our society as a whole has created a rift between faith and science, resulting in both sides throwing bombs in the direction of the other. The premise of Collin's book is the same one I am arguing throughout this series: the two aspects of life can indeed live harmoniously with one another and even can be combined to form one worldview.

Even if two people disagree on topics such as these and can only separate the two topics from one another, I believe common ground can-and should-be found so that each person strives to have a loving understanding of the other. We do not have to agree-I think our world today proves that not everyone will agree-but we do not have to attack each other's views, either. How can we hear each other out when all we do is yell or shut our ears to each other? Stand firm in your beliefs, yes, but let how you go about discussing those differences be out of a respectful and sensitive heart.

Now, let's discuss why it is so common today for the two aspects of faith and science to be separated from one another. The domain of science is one that explores nature, while God's domain is of the spiritual realm, a world not possible to explore with the simple tools and language of science. I believe God is bigger than the mere physical world-bigger and better and more beautiful than all that we see, and that's really saying something, because the world we do see is stunningly beautiful!

Science answers the 'how' whereas faith answers the 'why' questions-both types humankind strives to seek out. If one of these aspects seems powerless to answer the questions of the other, I say peace can still be found, for perhaps that is how it should be. What if each of these elements of life are unique focuses of their own-with their own questions and answers to match? I do not mean to completely separate the two, but rather it helps me to compartmentalize these two aspects in such a way so I am able to examine how the two compliment each other. Let us see it as an equation, each being their own variable:

Knowledge [science] + Love [faith] = Truth

I firmly believe in acknowledging both sides of faith and science. Many scientists attack faith because they are not open to what could possibly be bigger, more beautiful, and more incomprehensible than what they could ever dream. Perhaps they attack or run away from faith out of fear, as engaging with all that God consists of is quite a vulnerable thing to do. Likewise, many religious fundamentalists attack or even run away from science for fear of being proved wrong, for fear of discovery (this one I most certainly do not understand, as learning should be a beautiful gift rather than a scary ability), or for fear of being open-minded. When both sides live in fear of one another, the result is more often than not war-either of the literal or metaphorical sort.

As a Christian, I believe in God. As a human being (and past Anthropology major), I believe in science. I experience both in this life, and the way I see it, I could be wrong about either one. Many scientific claims make sense to me because of the overwhelming physical evidence to support those claims. In a similar but also different way, God makes sense to me because of the overwhelming spiritual ways in which I experience Him and His love. Maybe dinosaurs didn't exist. Maybe God is playing one big trick on all of us to see how faithful we are, as I've heard many people argue. On the other end, maybe all of this God stuff is fake. Maybe all of us Holy-Spirit filled people are making Him all up. Maybe love is just a ridiculous notion and beauty doesn't exist. Perhaps He's an 'emotional crutch', as many like to say (a post soon to come over this topic). Maybe, though, both sides can beautifully coexist together. Maybe the complexity of science simply shows us more of God's glory, because it shows how big He really is. Maybe He is allowing us to discover and learn so that we can marvel at His character. Maybe His fingertips are all over science, and maybe science gives Him glory. Discovery, to me, is simply another act of worship in which I grow more and more in awe of my divine and sacred God.

'If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world'. -C.S. Lewis