Friday, August 23, 2013

Common College Life: Getting Fit

Being a college student comes with having various priorities, and as much as all of us would love to have working out toward the top, a goal like this isn't realistic for all of us twenty-somethings today. Whether it be from a lack of funds or an inability to set aside time, the reasons are seemingly endless and working out is just a difficult consistency to obtain. In addition, it seems as if a different health trend pops up every day, and with tests to study for, social lives to be had, and that small bit of sleep to be acquired, who can keep up with the latest shape-up fad?

If I'm being completely truthful, some days I'd simply rather take a nap.

In the past two years I like to think I've gained some knowledge on how to navigate the intimidating waters of getting fit, and today I want to share a bit of what I've learned.



1. Know the Reason
We all know that person-perhaps some of us are that person-who complains to no end about his or her physique. No goal achieved is ever enough, and some aspect always seems to be flawed. Personally, I believe the reason for working out should be something other than the end goal of the physical outcome. If the entire reason for being in shape is to look better, and perhaps taking it further we can say to impress this or that person, then failure will always come, because goals like this-looks and the like-do not last. Scripture tells us to set our eyes on what is unseen, not on what is seen, for what is seen does not last, but what is unseen is eternal. Think about it: even the most physically fit person will one day have wrinkles, saggy skin, and deteriorated bones, and even if Botox or some other element is brought into the equation, that person will one day pass on, as every person does. Let the reason for working out be among those such as practicing spiritual disciplines, improving one's personal health as the body is a temple, or to create godly, long-lasting habits. Looking better and other end products such as this are benefits-not reasons. When it comes to motivation, we need to take a look at our heart, because our words and actions will spur out of an intentional (or unintentional) heart. My cross-country and school soccer coach was probably the best coach I've ever had, and I remember he used to always tell us to remember why we did every single thing we did. Why are we playing this game? Why are we running this race? To give back to the God who allows us to do all of it. Being able to workout is such an ability and a blessing. We should take advantage of it! It's amazing what our bodies can do if we really explore the possibilities.

2. Make [Your] Time
As mentioned earlier, not everyone has a full morning, afternoon, or evening to devote to shaping up. How, then, is the busy college kid supposed to get any sort of workout in? During my freshman year of college I learned that I need to have some sort of workout as a consistent part of my week. Whether that means running, doing yoga (a personal favorite), or simply taking a walk for ten minutes outside-every aspect of myself needs it. Exposing myself to the outdoors can instantaneously perk up my mood, get my energy levels up, and even pump my creative juices. One of my favorite daily to-do's when I was a freshman at A&M was to make every Tuesday and Thursday a study day, because even though I wasn't able to fit in a full workout at the Rec center, at least I could productively work out my brain and take breaks to walk around campus. This past semester I had more time to workout then I'd ever had throughout my college career, so I attempted to run twice a week and do yoga twice a week. Take a look at your schedule and see what works for you. You'll be surprised by what and where you can fit in-even a walk around campus-, and I've found consistently doing some sort of activity begins to have a positive effect. Sometimes, our schedules allow us to train for marathons. Other times, all we can fit in is a brisk walk. Just get up and do something.

3. Choose the Nap
I know you are a confident, bold fledgling-new to the adult world-with big plans and dreams to conquer, but here is a truth: you have to make time to rest. There is a time for passion. There is a time for finishing strong. There are even times, I think, to accomplish a task with one-hundred and ten percent effort. There are other times, however, when a nap is the perfect solution. Getting fit and being active are great goals to consistently strive for, but taking time to rest is just as important. During high school I learned this lesson in a painful way. I've played soccer since I was four and competitively since I was twelve, and up until I seriously injured my back my junior year of high school, I was daily spending high levels of energy. It was when I was forced to slow down and attend physical therapy for a while that I realized I had overworked myself, and I was paying the price for it. I strained a ligament in my back while running cross-country, and soccer was year round as I played for the school and also on a select team. My cross-country and school soccer coach wisely advised me to rest it out for a week or two, and maybe sit out a few school soccer practices, so that the slight injury could heal and I could avoid turning it into a worse one. Foolishly, I thought I knew best, and I didn't want to stop, and only a week later, in the middle of a select soccer game, I planted my foot to send the ball upfield to our forward. As I turned my back and swung my other foot around, I felt a shooting pain in my lower back. In a split second, I had collapsed. I remember being helped off the field, and I eventually had to be carried, because I couldn't even straighten my back. I had not only strained the ligament further, but now I had completely torn my sacroiliac muscle-which forced me into physical therapy, out of the state cross-country meet, and on the bench for the rest of the school soccer season and the rest of the select year. The moral of the story is to listen to your body. If you need to stop, then don't push yourself past your safe zone. It's okay to be challenged-it's never okay if part of you hurts. There are days when you might feel drained in various aspects and that two mile run sounds like the most daunting task known to man. When it is appropriate, choose the nap. Make time to rest.

4. Nutrition Matters
One of my favorite courses so far has been a nutrition class I took last year. The science of it all really intrigued me, and I immensely enjoyed learning about the physical, emotional, and mental effects of proper and malnutrition. My professor had a slogan: 'Consume a variety of foods in moderation to achieve well-balanced nutrition'. Overall, striving for a well-balanced, consistent diet is going to have the most positive effect on our bodies. What we put in our bodies is going to affect every part of us. Notice 'chocolate is inherently evil' is nowhere within that sentence. 'Only eat fruits and vegetables' is not her slogan. It's true that most of our diet should consist of fruits and vegetables, but a large part is supposed to be protein, another part is to be grains (whole wheat is best), and even sweets aren't completely nixed. Here's a fun fact for you: I love truffles. One of my best friends swoons over macaroons, another of mine took her senior pictures with the company of a cupcake, and my sweet-tooth craving? Raspberry truffles. I could eat them all day, every day, except I know that living that sort of lifestyle doesn't fall under the definition of 'eating a variety of foods in moderation'. I use sweets as a sort of reward. Set goals for yourself, and then splurge as a reward when you reach those goals. Have an Oreo! Eat the cheesecake! Lick the spoon from the brownie batter! It won't kill your plan-so long as you utilize self-control. If anything, it has the potential to enhance it. Our brains associate hard work with positive reinforcement, so reward yourself every now and then, because those truffles are good. 

5. Make Financial Peace
If you're the typical college student like me, then you don't have oodles of money to shell out simply for the cause of getting fit, and guess what? That's more than okay! I know a lot of people who feel as if spending every extra dollar on the newest workout gear is essential to their performance, and if you have the money to spend on every fad and membership known to man, then good for you. My guess is that most of you out there are spending money on textbooks, midnight Whataburger runs, and simply other venues. Whatever your situation, I encourage you to make peace with yourself, and even if you're on a tight budget, you can still find ways to get fit and be wallet-friendly at the same time. A lot of colleges include workout centers as a part of the student package, so take advantage of it! If you're someone who prefers the outdoors like myself rather than the gym, then go running, hiking, biking, or walking. If you are into the trends of working out, find ways to pursue them in a frugal manner. Yoga is one of my favorite activities, and it can be incredibly pricey, though it doesn't have to be. I recently came across a site that provides resources and tips for free to all of the yogis out there. There are endless ways to taper your workouts to your lifestyle. It just takes a bit of research and motivation.

Those are a few of the lessons I've learned from being a college student with a million priorities and a daily to-do list that goes on for miles. Getting fit is in the back of all of our minds, but what it comes down to isn't how to achieve the best look possible. It's about knowing you, working with what you've got, and glorifying God in all things.