Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Haiti

'Haiti has a history of colonialism that set the country's future up for disaster, and they've never truly recovered since then. The government is corrupt and overtaken by Voodoo-literally, as it has become the declared religion-which causes the leaders and people to kill their own children with distorted thinking that this pleases their gods in some way. Any money that the U.S. tries to send to aid in disaster relief is squandered because they-the leaders and the citizens-don't know how to be good stewards of what is given to them. The land has been ravaged throughout time and is beyond repair, so almost all agriculture attempts today fail, and then add on top of all of that earthquakes hitting at incredible levels every year and you've got yourself as close to Hell on Earth as you can possibly imagine. Haiti is a lost cause, and it has been that way for a very long time'.

My first college professor I ever had-and the best one I ever had-spoke these words (as a college freshman incredibly intimidated by my new school, my new academic standards, and just my new chapter of life, I recorded my first day of class so as not to miss any word my professor said-ridiculous, I know). I'm so glad I did, though, because it's allowed me to return to the day that I first learned about the nation labeled 'as close to Hell as you can possibly imagine'.

And still I will go, because in the midst of what is seemingly Hell, there is still hope.

Until my Lord takes me home I am called to be the hands and feet of Jesus.

I remember the first time my heart was stirred for Haiti. I was sitting in my Globalization of Global Villages course in the Fall of my freshman year listening to my professor describe what sounded like the worst place anyone could ever be, and that's exactly how she labeled it, too: '...as close to Hell on Earth as you can possibly imagine'. With some of the worst demographics the world has ever seen, Haiti has high rates for HIV/AIDS, the highest fertility rate in the Caribbean, the lowest development rates, and some of the worst rates in the world regarding deforestation, poverty, literacy, life expectancy, and environmental degradation. The shifting of the tectonic plates beneath the earth cause terrible earthquakes, and because of government corruption and lack of education, any money sent as aid is useless as it is squandered and used for gambling by those in power. The economy in Haiti is already in a low place, and the economy that exists at all is heavily dependent on tourism, which has pros and cons, but overall being dependent on money from other parts of the world completely is unpredictable, and this is proving to be true for Haiti as it is causing capitol leakage.

As my class was discussing all of this, a sensation happened: a tear rolled down my cheek. I started to cry for a nation that I had never seen-for people that I had never met-right there in the middle of class. I tried to conceal my emotion and was having a ridiculously hard time. I remember thinking, 'What is wrong with me? We've talked about plenty of nations in need. Good grief-you are almost nineteen years old, get a grip!' I didn't realize it right then, but the Lord was starting what was to be a long process of Him breaking my heart for the nation of Haiti.

I went home that night and spent seven hours researching every fact I could find on the country. Seven hours. I hadn't been so interested in a topic since I was preparing to travel to Africa my junior year of high school, and the more I learned, the more I yearned to help. I have always had a special place in my heart for global missions, and that day the Lord awakened a part of my soul meant for Haiti specifically. For the next year and a half, I just prayed. I asked the Lord to reveal His plan, and over time He grew my knowledge of the place immensely-the language, the demographics, the people, the spiritual warfare-and He brought people into my life to speak truth to me about the nation. I've gotten to hear a personal testimony of an American girl fresh out of college who just happened to be on a mission trip during the most recent earthquake, and when it hit, her newly learned skills were called for. The Lord equipped her beyond her years and used her to save people's lives-both physically and spiritually. Another friend of mine witnessed levels of spiritual warfare uncommon in America but very common in underdeveloped countries, and so through her testimony I was able to hear wisdom and receive preparation for what I could possibly encounter. We continued our study of Haiti in that freshman geography class, and the more I learned, the more my heart broke. After the day the Lord broke my heart for Haiti, I spent time daily in prayer for the country as I waited-impatiently I might add, as waiting has never been one of my strong suits-for His plan of using me to become more clear. For awhile, I thought maybe I was only meant to fervently pray for hope to come to the desolate place, but the yearn to actually go never ceased to be, and I had multiple odd instances of people asking, encouraging, and even telling me to go. Go and help. So, I began to pray a new prayer. I prayed that if the Lord wanted me to go to Haiti that He send me there. I wanted Him to make it so obvious that I couldn't possibly ignore the open door-and that's exactly what He's done.

I think I prayed this sort of prayer because I wanted to be sure I was supposed to go. Planning for a mission trip takes a lot of time and effort, and I wanted to be wise in all areas concerning it. In addition, I knew of multiple ministries and families who lived in Haiti, so when it came to which one I was supposed to serve with, I was in the dark. It was also on my mind and heart to only go with a ministry that works for the long run. So many ministries travel to underdeveloped nations with good intentions but end up only doing worse than good. If I am to help other people, I want it to be with a group of people who are founded in wisdom. I want it to be with a group that understands it does better to teach a man to fish than to simply hand him a fish. Toxic charity is one of my biggest concerns regarding ministries and non-profits today. It's of great importance to me that we are helping people help themselves. Faithfully, the Lord showed me exactly who to go with and even how long to serve for. Lastly, I think part of me was afraid to see such a broken place. I've seen poverty in Europe. I've seen malnourishment in Africa. I've witnessed evil in America. God knows I myself am a weary sinner. I've lived in a nation all my life where Satan attacks the Church through complacency and twists a society through 'first-world problems'. I've seen him use false teaching to sway souls and build up wrong priorities in people for selfish reasons. I've witnessed and participated in sin. However, I've never seen-or even believed in, really, up until I was a college student-spiritual warfare like what I may see in Haiti, and I think that's the biggest fear I had in all of this. I feared the unknown. I feared the forces of evil. I feared what I lacked in knowledge of. I feared-past tense.

My heart, mind, and soul has learned this awesome truth: God wins.

Period. End of story. Love wins.

That doesn't mean that spiritual warfare becomes less intimidating. To me, it's big. It's real. It's powerful. To God, however, it's small. It's insignificant. It's powerless. To me, it's in God's hands.

The Lord is stronger than all else, and in the face of brokenness, sin, and warfare all I know is that I am unable. I am weak, powerless to do what only the God of hope can do. Only God can overcome evil. Only His Spirit working in me is able to tackle spiritual warfare. All I am asked to do is respond to Him-pray, fast, love. I just have to submit to my Father and let Him work. I am asked to be His daughter, His adopted child, so that in me HE can be the hands and feet of Jesus-even in a place as broken as Haiti, and how exciting! How truly awesome that the God of the universe has chosen to use me to shine His light.

'For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms'.  -Ephesians 6:12

Satan may harass and tempt Christians. He may ravage lands and spur on the spreading of diseases. He may corrupt governments and distort doctrine. He may do all of this and more, but he has absolutely no authority over anyone who is in Christ Jesus. Though he may prowl now, there is one truth that remains: Jesus is stronger. Jesus is eternal. Jesus is King, and His beautiful, perfect love casts out any and all fear.

If you would, please pray for me. Pray for the ministry I am serving with, Mission of Hope , and pray for travel safety. Pray for my team of volunteers and interns-that we be obedient to the Spirit. Pray for the village ministry, the construction teams, and the medical teams serving-that every heart be humble and that of a servant. Pray for spiritual warfare-that freedom comes daily. Pray that Satan's grip on this nation be broken-that instead of slaves to sin the people be slaves to righteousness. Pray that we are prayerful. Pray for the hearts of the Haitians-that they be open, gentle, and broken for the Gospel. Pray for restoration to a nation so beautiful but yet so broken. Pray for sweet joy that is only found in Jesus. Pray for the peace that only comes from the Father. Pray for love to abound. Above all, pray for souls to be saved. What good is all of the work done if not for an eternal purpose?

The truth is, even in a place that seems like Hell, it's not Hell yet. Earth is not Hell. Every situation on Earth still has potential for joy. Hope still has a place in Haiti.

God's going to do some awesome works, and I look forward to hopefully sharing them all with you when I come back!

N'a we pita!