Thursday, November 7, 2013

Afternoon Tea: Identity

Every so often a movement will happen within Christianity that centers on radicalism. I am part of a generation right now that is taking part in such a movement, as more and more twenty-somethings are calling for what I like to think of as the extreme Gospel.

It's the call to return to the first established view of the Church.
Its the call for realness-to truly live out the cost of discipleship.
It's the call to go 'back to the Bible', end of story.
It's the call for Jesus-plain and simple.

You probably know what I am describing, because God is moving among my generation and our presence is a prevalent one among various college campuses today. He is making His presence known in strong and tangible ways, and as a generation that yearns to experience God we identify ourselves as His people through multiple outlets. We disciple other people as if nothing else matters, tattoo Bible verses or symbolic concepts all over our bodies, and don flannel all day 'err day (regardless if it's cold enough for it outside). We form community through theological discussion or mini-worship sessions 'round a campfire, bonding with one another through transparency and love. We spend our time pouring over the Scriptures or the newest faith-based novel whilst sipping a warm mug of *insert signature drink from favorite coffee shop here*.



We love Chacos, tribal-patterned anything (representing Matthew 28:18, of course), and pastors that use Greek words consistently throughout their sermons.

My generation is one that longs for the Jesus that doesn't require fancy clothes or manicured nails. We long for the Jesus who calls his followers to 'come as they are', and out of our longings we have created a culture that represents quite tangibly and evidently what we believe and stand for.

I am a part of this sort of community. Some of my favorite moments have happened over a cup of coffee, my friends and I have often held impromptu jam sessions, and some of the most significant discussions in my life have centered upon deep theology or the teachings of Jesus and the implications that they hold.

Flannel is my go-to, my Chacos are worn out, and I got my first tattoo in Greek lettering after deciding to become a Christian in high school.

All of these characteristics and more are true for many of my friends, and though not a single one of these cultural traits are inherently bad in and of themselves, I would like to issue a reminder today to anyone who is a part of this cultural community that Christianity has manifested itself in.

Remember where identity is meant to be found.

Does your identity lie in the name others give you, or does it lie in who God says you are?

Do you care more about being labeled a 'Christian hipster' than you do a child of God?

Are you focused on how many people you can disciple, or are you attentively watching for the ways in which God is furthering His kingdom?

Is the idea of radical Christianity actually costing you parts of your life, or is it simply a cultural way to identify with other people around you?

Is going to church (or going anywhere) an intentional occurrence or a social experience?

Are you sold-out for Christianity, or you caught up in a culture?

Do not mistake me: community is beautiful and cultural expressions can reflect the diversity of God. I love this concept of taking the Gospel back to it's most original state and striving for radical Christianity as we do life with one another. However, a problem arises when we begin to worship the culture rather than the Creator. We need to be sure that in forming community we do not end up idolizing community. Each of us should constantly be checking our hearts to pinpoint our motivation behind every word and act. Let us remember to apply Jesus to our culture-not the other way around. Let us remember to live out community for the sole purpose of loving one another to the glory of God-not for any other vain or selfish motivation. God cares about the condition of our hearts above all else. Let's be sure that we do 'all things to the glory of God'.

A daily reminder my soul needs: I am meant to make much of God.

My identity can only be found in Him alone, for any other foundation is sinking sand.

I am dwelling on the following prayer today: