Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Eucharisteo (A Short Greek Lesson)

You don't need to be able to read Greek to understand the Bible, but sometimes it can be a fascinating tool. Tonight I'm having one of those moments where the ancient language is blowing my mind. Just to clarify, I'm not a Greek expert. I'm not even a theologian, though maybe in the far, far future I will know enough to be classified as such. I am, however, learning little bits each day, and I'd like to share a bit of what my schooling has taught me so far.

The Greek transliterated word for thanksgiving is 'eucharisteo', meaning to be grateful or to give thanks. Ann Voscamp has some quality thoughts on this concept and so does Fabs Harford, two women of the Faith that I strongly admire (though they couldn't be more different in personality). Many people have already put forth comments on the holiday that is happening tomorrow, making valid points such as:

Comparison is the thief of joy. Appreciate what you have.
Thanksgiving isn't a one-day event. It's a lifetime mindset.
Gluttony is still a sin during the holidays; aim for moderation for God's glory.
Sometimes blessings are found in the little things. Watch a football game or something.

And of course, all of these statements are true. They all feed my soul.

However, only one point has been on my mind as Thanksgiving approaches: eucharisteo. It's beautiful because of how it is used in the Scriptures. When the biblical writers wrote of having thanks, they meant so much more than being grateful for friends, having happy feelings around family, or finding cheerfulness in a football game. They weren't merely thankful when they had a plethora of food before them or a magical blanket of snow falling down over them.

They had thankfulness when life seemed to be like hell itself.

The early Christians wrote of eucharisteo when they were persecuted, mocked, disbelieved, imprisoned, and killed. They praised God when they didn't have material possessions, food to fill their bellies, or even the assurance of a safe life.

This is the lesson to remember for tomorrow and all that it holds: what matters is being thankful when the world tells you to be otherwise.

This truth of the meaning of thankfulness-the meaning of eucharisteo-implies much. It tells us that thankfulness isn't based on a feeling, but rather it is a mental choice to praise God. It tells us that being thankful isn't dependent on circumstance, because no matter what is happening in our lives God is still with us. It shows us that eucharisteo is not founded in material possessions or things of this world, but rather it spurs out a hope that we have because of the One who is not of this world.

For the Christian, thankfulness is founded in Jesus.

Jesus calls His followers to consistency, yes, but also realness. This means that not a single person is called to put up a facade. If you're happy this Thanksgiving, then rejoice. If you're hurting this holiday season, then mourn. There is a time for everything and a season for all. Thankfully, peace can still be found in the midst of all circumstances. Eucharisteo is not a feeling; it is a soul-truth. It is finding peace and praise in the midst of a chaotic and broken world.

I don't know where you are this holiday season or what the next few weeks have in store for you. I hope it's all sugar and spice and everything nice. I hope your days are filled with laughter, that you get to watch football, and that your table is filled with all that you want it to be. If none of this is true, though, you can still have joy. The kingdom is still for you. My holidays always seem to be filled with mountains and valleys, with some circumstances being seemingly heaven-sent while others not so much. Such is life. I find comfort, however, no matter what my circumstance in the hope of the kingdom, for it is both here and to come. I find comfort that joy is found in the strength of the Lord, and the Gospel-writers themselves are proof of this truth (along with my own life experiences). I find thankfulness in another biblical concept that is intertwined with thankfulness: abiding in His love.

The words from the pictured page above are from a book, and the love they are describing is between a man and a woman. However, I think it applies to our relationship with our Heavenly Father as well. He has called us His children since the beginning of time. Each and every one of us has been made to love and be loved.

Before I knew Him, He knew me-inside and out. He knows you, too, and He longs for your affection. He is the heart of our own hearts.

Where would we be without Your love?
For I am Yours, and You are mine.