Monday, February 25, 2013

Great I Am- New Life Worship

After a month, the Lord is confirming the continuation of this blog. Over the next few months, I hope to start a new series concerning the Old Testament, begin a new series that will match a worship song with a truth to dwell on, continue on with the series 'Mere Christianity', and add to the 'Afternoon Tea' series.

This post is the first of a series that I want to title, 'A Reason to Worship', inspired by a song and experience that was introduced to me this past weekend on my roadtrip to Abilene, TX. While in Abilene I visited a church called Beltway, a charismatic and Spirit-led body rooted in scripture and promoting of biblical truth. I was blessed to have had the opportunity to worship with some of my dearest friends that morning, and I very much enjoyed the message spoken to the body. Although many aspects of the visit spoke to my soul in great ways, the most memorable one is by far the worship that took place.

I have never quite experienced a worship as I did that morning-a realization that surprised me as I thought back on the various fellowships I had been a part of in the past, ranging from a reserved congregation of elderly to a worship service sang completely in Swahili. I'm accustomed to believers raising their hands in worship, instruments being used, people singing loudly while others simply stand still in the Presence of the Almighty, and while even others are kneeling before the throne of God, but one added aspect I saw at Beltway that I had never before seen was Spirit-led dancing, and by this I mean every kind from gently swaying to full out jumping up and down-all in the name of Jesus Christ and by the power of God. As I worshipped together with other fellow believers, I looked around and saw the genuine freedom that was ever so prevalent in the room, whether a person was being still and knowing God as God or waving their arms back and forth to the rhythm of the song. 

Beloved, I AM here. I AM the freedom.

The presence of God and the hope in Christ Jesus brings freedom, and when believers take root in that hope and realize that we have a reason to sing, then that's all we are able to do. When we realize that His love is truly better than life, then nothing else is truly worth living for except for Him.

The body of believers that I was blessed to have worshipped with had a Spirit of sweet surrender to them. The Spirit was alive and moving and it was glorious.

We sang one song that gave me chills because it is so empowering called Great I AM by New Life Worship. Starting out slow, the first verse is about praising God for His awe and wonder and desiring to be in His presence, and as the song progresses, the lyrics talk about the power of God-how at the simple mention of His name the mountains shake and the demons flee-for no power of Hell or scheme of man can stand before our Lord Almighty. By the time the congregation was singing the bridge, the anthem had risen to not just a song but a shout-a declaration of who Yahweh is and what power is in His name. It was one of the most beautiful happenings my soul has ever experienced, and because of that I am inspired to share the song and begin a new series that couples a song with a truth-or multiple ones-it encompasses. For example, the song Great I Am couples well with the topic of power because it proclaims truths about the name of the Lord in which there is an incomprehensible power. If you're searching for a song regarding power, perhaps to use during a quiet time or simply to serve as a reminder to your soul, then I encourage you to check this one out.



Declare this truth today: that at His name the mountains shake and the demons flee. Proclaim that there is no power of Hell or any man that can stand in the power and the presence of the Great I Am. We have such a reason to worship, for there is power in the name of the Lord.